AW: [INDOLOGY] Nirukta of anugraha?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 27 10:28:05 UTC 2010

<The semantics of 'favour, promote, take care' is the one and only for the
composite verb ánu+gra(b)hi, attested since the RV;...  as a look into Vishva Bandhu's Vaidikapadaanukramakosha..will make clear to everybody;>
1.The VVRI index attests use from the late Srautasuutras and Upanishads. The Rgvedic evidence may kindly be furnished. I missed that somehow. I could not procure a copy of the Verba IndoArica even after many efforts.
2. What about Kausika S.56.14 iti brahmacaari.nam anugrhniiyaat?
Best
DB

--- On Mon, 27/12/10, Dr. Chlodwig H. Werba <chlodwig.h.werba at UNIVIE.AC.AT> wrote:

From: Dr. Chlodwig H. Werba <chlodwig.h.werba at UNIVIE.AC.AT>
Subject: [INDOLOGY] AW: [INDOLOGY] Nirukta of anugraha?
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Monday, 27 December, 2010, 10:11 AM

Dear All,
The semantics of 'favour, promote, take care' is the one and only for the
composite verb ánu+gra(b)hi, attested since the RV; please refer to my Verba
IndoArica (Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences, 1997) I/403 (no. 506S).
> From this verb the action noun anugraha/anuggaha- 'favour etc.' is formed
according to productive rules in the late Vedic Suutra / Early Buddhist
period, as a look into Vishva Bandhu's Vaidikapadaanukramako;sa and the
Critical Pali Dictionary will make clear to everybody.
With my best wishes for the second decade of the 3rd millenium
Chlodwig H. Werba