Date of usage of the word Bhaarata to denote India

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 25 04:55:20 UTC 2010

25 12 10
Harisvāmin’s commentary on the Śatapatha-Br.1.8.1.2 aughá imāḥ sárvvāḥ prajā́ḥ nirvvoḍhā runs as : sa imāḥ bhāratavarṣanivāsinīḥ prajāḥ nirvoḍhā niḥśeśaṃ deśāntaraṃ prāpayitā. The word will be found in all the major Purāṇas in Jambudvīpavarṇanam. Cf.,Matsya-P.122.te bhāratasya varṣasya bhedā yena prakīirtitāḥ . Emperor Asoka knew only the word Jambudvīpa.
Best
DB

--- On Fri, 24/12/10, Christopher Wallis <bhairava11 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: Christopher Wallis <bhairava11 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Date of usage of the word Bhaarata to denote India
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Friday, 24 December, 2010, 5:13 PM

Dear esteemed colleagues,

Happy holidays.  I am reading and translating a very late ha.tha-yoga text
called the Yoga-Kar.nikaa, the date of which can possibly be determined by
its use of the phrase* sarvatiirthe.su bhaarate*.  Does anyone know the
earliest usage of Bhaarata in the meaning "India"?  I am guessing 19th
century, but I really don't know.

thank you,
Chris Wallis

--

Christopher D. Wallis, M.A. (Cal), M.Phil. (Oxon)

University of California at Berkeley