Date of usage of the word Bhaarata to denote India

Sat Dec 25 15:07:49 UTC 2010

bharata- , bhaarata- has been used since Rgvedic times, but not for
"India".

The Bharata were just one of dozens of Rgvedic tribes (or if you
like, polities), and the Bhaarata dynasty (started by Sudaas after
his victory  in the "10 Kings' Battle", RV 7.18) existed for the next
few hundred years.

See undersigned on the Kuru realm, EJVS 4 <http://
www.ejvs.laurasianacademy.com/>  and the still useful Macdonell-
Keith's Vedic Index, II 94 sqq.

The Bharata occupied just Kuruksetra and surroudings (Haryana,
Western UP): no "India" then.

Bharatavarsa is of course post-Vedic. Even Manu Smriti still has just
Aryavarta.

Holiday (Solis Invicti, Mithrae) cheers,

Michael

On Dec 25, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Dr. T. Ganesan wrote:

> We also find in the first section of the Taittiriiya AraNyaka which
> is called
> aruNakAThaka or aruNaprashna the use of the word Bhaarata as in the
> mantra "
> agnimicchadhvaM bhaarataaH".
> Ganesan
>

> 25 12 10
>> Harisvāmin’s commentary on the Śatapatha-Br.1.8.1.2 aughá
>> imāḥ sárvvāḥ prajā́ḥ
>> nirvvoḍhā runs as : sa imāḥ bhāratavarṣanivāsinīḥ
>> prajāḥ nirvoḍhā niḥśeśaṃ
>> deśāntaraṃ prāpayitā. The word will be found in all the major
>> Purāṇas in
>> Jambudvīpavarṇanam. Cf.,Matsya-P.122.te bhāratasya varṣasya
>> bhedā yena
>> prakīirtitāḥ . Emperor Asoka knew only the word Jambudvīpa.
>> Best
>> DB

Michael Witzel
witzel at fas.harvard.edu
<www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>

Dept. of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street,
Cambridge MA 02138, USA

phone: 1- 617 - 495 3295, 496 8570, fax 617 - 496 8571;
my direct line:  617- 496 2990