[RISA-L LIST] Date of usage of the word Bhaarata to denote India

Christopher Wallis bhairava11 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 25 07:12:40 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to Carlos, Diana, and Sudalaimuthu for their responses. I perhaps
should have been more clear; I was aware of the compound *bhaaratavar.sa* in
earlier sources, but I was (perhaps mistakenly) assuming that *bhaarata* was
not found by itself in the meaning "India" until the modern period.  My
author uses Bhaarata to mean "all the land in which tiirthas are found" so
that is clearly not just north India.  Does anyone else have any further
evidence to date this usage?

Happy holidays to all!

thank you,
Chris

--
*śivās te panthānaḥ santu* = May there be blessings on your journey.

Christopher D. Wallis, M.A. (Cal), M.Phil. (Oxon)