Fwd: stone-inscriptions from Sichuan

Thu Dec 9 22:37:58 UTC 2010

The same kind of inscriptions are found in the province to the south
of Sichuan, in Yunnan, more precisely in Dali.
Preserved in the Dali Museum (and many more in the Kunming Museum).
These are  the same style of Buddhist inscriptions, in early Nagari,
with calendar animals: Tiger/Dragon, etc.

Dali (Nanchao) was a Buddhist kingdom until the Mongols did them in
in 1253. Still, 3 major pagodas (9th c. and later) remain.

I took some video files of the inscriptions at Dali last summer
(unfortunately no still photos, as my camera did not work); they are
several/many  MB long. I will try to attach/upload a small size  one
(704 KB). The one with animals is 26 MB!

The same kind of script is used elsewhere, for example at Feilai
Peak, Hangzhou, 11th c., of which I have a large size rubbing.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Witzel
witzel at fas.harvard.edu
<www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm>

Dept. of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
1 Bow Street,
Cambridge MA 02138, USA

phone: 1- 617 - 495 3295, 496 8570, fax 617 - 496 8571;
my direct line:  617- 496 2990