Hiragana and Indic Scripts

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Aug 11 13:33:47 UTC 2010

Dear all,
A very learned colleague of mine, to whom I forwarded the discussion
about the Hiragana etc. scripts, sent me the following which he has
allowed me to forward to the Indology list. However, the list
rejected the attachment which were the entries in Prof. Waterhouse's
forthcoming book. I am sure he'll answer you directly if you contact
him off list. His e-mail is: david. waterhouse at utoronto.ca.

Dear Stella,

Thank you for these notes: but they are a little confused. I am
attaching short historical notes on hiragana and katakana from the
Glossary appended to my forthcoming catalogue of prints by Suzuki
Harunobu (1725?-70) in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Both kinds of
kana derive from Chinese characters; the connexion with Kūkai can be
dismissed. I do not know when the present arrangement of kana first
came into use; but until the Meiji period the most common arrangement
was according to the iroha order: which constitutes a rather silly
poem using all the syllables once. Older reference books follow this
order.

Kūkai studied an advanced form of Buddhist Tantrism in China, and
introduced it to Japan for his Shingon school of Japanese Buddhism.
In various of its rituals Shingon uses the siddham (Jap. shittan)
script, which derives not from devanagari but from an older form of
Gupta script. I have several reference books about it. One often sees
it in the inscriptions in Japanese graveyards; and Shingon monks have
to study it. Unlike Indic scripts, it is written with a brush, which
gives it a more cursive character than devanagari. Its early history
in Japan is unclear, but its introduction may go back to the time of
Kūkai (774-835), Saichō (767-822: founder of the Tendai school) or
Ennin (794-864: third head of Tendai), all of whom studied in China.

Lastly, I do not see any connexion between kana and musical notation,
except that kana themselves are used as a kind of solfa notation, and
various other kinds of Chinese and Japanese music notation show the
influence of Chinese characters: notably the classical notation for
the qin (7-stringed zither).

As you may know, the Korean syllabary, a brilliant invention of 15th-
century Korean linguists, was directly influenced by Sanskrit
phonology, as well as by Chinese; and the shapes of individual
letters mirror the position of the tongue.

Yours ever,

David

--
Stella Sandahl