Hiragana and Indic Scripts

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Aug 10 12:54:24 UTC 2010

Apart from what Dan Lusthaus has already mentioned about the
established view on the origination of the kana scripts, one should
note that Siddham is very 'Indian' in its structure: like all the
Brahmi-derived scripts, Siddham is of the script type known as
'abugida' (in which a basic syllabic sign is modified by means of
secondary vowel signs to indicate that the vowel of the syllable is
not 'a'), and the kana scripts are fundamentally different.

RZ

Op 10.08.2010, om 05:56 heeft Peter Friedlander het volgende geschreven:

> Dear Colleagues,
> any ideas on leads on Indic script connections with Japanese
> Hiragana/Katakana scripts?
> Hiragana/Katakana starts a i u e o ka ki ku ke ko etc.
> The organization of the Japanese sound system seems related to Indic
> systems, but Japanese histories of their scripts that I have seen
> are quite silent on the relationship between Siddham and Kana script
> systems that I have observed (my current notes on this at http://bodhgayanews.net/melbournehindi/?p=22)
> .
> I am sure that somebody must have written on this, any idea where?
> regards
>
> Peter Friedlander

Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Department für Asienstudien - Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie
Universität München
Deutschland
Tel. (+49-89-) 2180-5782
Fax  (+49-89-) 2180-5827