Turtles (and elephants) all the way down?

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Apr 17 17:42:13 UTC 2010

I have a few somewhat related questions. Does the myth of the tortoise/turtle supporting the world have anything to do with the hibernating behavior of the tortoise? Is that why in Agnicayana a tortoise is buried under the altar? For two Indology posts related to this issue, see:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9807&L=INDOLOGY&P=R8806&I=-3
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9807&L=INDOLOGY&P=R12404&I=-3

But then not all species of turtles/tortoise hibernate. I do not know if there are any tortoises/turtles in north India that hibernate. If not, could the myth have originated outside India where tortoises are known to hibernate?

Regards,
Palaniappan