Crow lore

Paul G. Hackett ph2046 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Apr 16 13:16:19 UTC 2010

A follow-up to Matthew's observation: although
Laufer wrote his article based on a Dunhuang
manuscript (Pelliot 3530), the text (bya rog gi
skad brtag par bya ba; kAkacaritra) is actually
contained in some recensions of the Tibetan canon
(Peking: P5831, vol.144, p.25-27, vol. GO fol.
202b7-204b6; and Snar-thang: thun mong ba lugs
kyi bstan bcos, vol. GO, fol. 221a1-222b7, to
name two).

[BTW, the citation for the Laufer article is:
Berthold Laufer, "Bird Divination Among the
Tibetans," T'oung Pao (II) 15 [1914]: 1-110. The
article is available from JSTOR.]

A more up-to-date study however, can be found in Eric Mortensen's dissertation:

"Raven Augury in Tibet, Northwest Yunnan, Inner
Asia, and Circumpolar Regions" Harvard (2003).

There are several more texts related to "bird
divination" in both the Bka'-'gyur and
Bstan-'gyur sections of the Tibetan Buddhist
canon.  If you are interest in references to
those, feel free to contact me off-list.

Best,

Paul Hackett
Associate Editor
Tengyur Translation Initiative