Turtles (and elephants) all the way down?

Tenzin Bob Thurman tbt7 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Apr 3 22:00:56 UTC 2010

There's a famous golden turtle in Tibetan astrology and divination.
Manjushri out of his concern for the Chinese, who are interested in
time, astronomy, and divination, emanates himself as a golden turtle,
then slays hisemanates turtle self and his shell comes up with the eight
trigrams [same as those of the I Ching] for divination, and perhaps
other geometrical patterns. In the same series of actions, he creates
his earthly pure land at Wu Tai Shan in Shansi province
BobT