Need references for descriptions of Buddhist nuns in literature

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Sep 28 19:49:51 UTC 2009

Rajam,

If you want to research that thoroughly, you will find a wealth of material
in the Pali Tipitaka, esp, the Vinaya and Nikayas. Women did preach,
DhammadinnA being the most prominent (e.g., Majjhima NikAya 24). As for what
they wore, daily activities, the vinaya is filled with rules and
descriptions of that; there are more rules for nuns than for more monks.

Aside from working through the Vinaya yourself (which I recommend), see
also:

Chatsumarn Kabilsingh, _A Comparative Study of BhikkhunI pATimokkha_ Varnasi
and Delhi: Chaukhambha Orientalia, 1994.

_Women in the Footsteps of the Buddha: Struggle for Liberation in the
Therigatha_ by Kathryn R. Blackstone. Motilal Banarsidass; 1st Indian ed
edition (2000).

Others can provide additional reading.

Dan Lusthaus