Sri Lankan Ayurveda

james mallinson jim at KHECARI.COM
Mon Sep 14 15:33:20 UTC 2009

Dear Indology List members,

After reading Dominik's fine essay I followed up his reference to
Vaidya Bhagwan Dash's Fundamentals of Ayurvedic Medicine (Delhi:
Bansal and Co. 1980), which has a chapter (pp.141-157) entitled
"Cannabis in Ancient Medical Texts". It includes a list of 51
formulations containing cannabis which have been described in a dozen
ayurvedic works. One of the 11 varieties of modaka ("formulations used
in round bollus form") is madana modaka (p.155). Unfortunately Dash
does not say which texts contain details of which formulations.

Yours, with best wishes,

Jim Mallinson