yugas and colours

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Oct 31 23:08:31 UTC 2009

We have to distinguish between the date of individual poems and the date of
 the anthologies. The chronology of Classical Tamil Poetry and the books of
 Tolkappiyam need to be revisited in light of new evidence.

Iravatham Mahadevan's dating/staging of Tamil Brahmi I and Tamil  Brahmi II
in his "Early Tamil Epigraphy" has been revised now. Mahadevan also  agrees
with the revision. See p. 213 in "Pottery Inscriptions of Tamil Nadu - A
Comparative View" by Y. Subbarayalu in  ,Airavati, Varalaaru.com,  2008,
p.209-248. Subbarayalu  also says Tamil Brahmi II and Tamil Brahmi  III need to
be considered as belonging to the same stage.

Subbarayalu's note "If the TB-I/TB-II classification loses its
chronological basis, then Mahadevan's dates given to the rock inscriptions, at  least
to some, on the basis of this classification would need some revision. For
instance, the Jambai inscription of Atiyan Nedumaan A~nci, which is assigned
by  Mahadevan (2003, p.399) to first century CE should be more appropriately
put in  about 200 BCE or even earlier. However his overall dating does not
suffer as it  is supported by other pieces of evidence" is very important
for dating the Tamil  poems. Atiyan Nedumaan A~nci is the hero praised in many
Classical Tamil  poems.

Also, in light of the Tamil confederacy mentioned in Hathigumpha
inscription (1st century BCE) as well as suggested by Akam 31, which I had  discussed
in the list earlier, we have to evaluate the possibility of some poems  to
be dated at least to the first century BCE. (We can  safely disregard the
theory of Pandyan kings organizing a number of poets  to cook up/invent
Classical Tamil poetry in the 9th/10th century CE.)

With respect to the dating of Tolkappiyam, in his "Early Tamil Epigraphy",
Mahadevan had failed to take into account an important paper by Rajam
Ramamurti,in IJDL."The Relevance of the Terms mey, o_r_ru, and pu.l.li to the
System of Tamil Morpho-Phonemics," IJDL, V. 9, no. 1, 1982, 167-183. I
pointed  this out during Mahadevan's book release event at Harvard in 2003. .The
point is  the date of at least the first book of Tolkappiyam should most
probably  precede any occurrence of the dotted consonant in epigraphy. (I have a
 draft of a note discussing this but never got around to publishing it.).
.
It will be interesting to see if this reevaluation of dating of  Classical
Tamil poems has any impact on the date of individual poems in  Paripaa.tal
too.

Regards,
Palaniappan

In a message dated 10/31/2009 10:54:09 A.M. Central Daylight Time,