Source of verses

Jennifer Cover jenni.cover at URSYS.COM.AU
Fri Oct 23 00:34:56 UTC 2009

Greetings,

Does anyone recognise some or all of these verses – or parts of them (my translation included)? They are at the end of a section called upadeśaṣoḍaśī in a text called Bodhasāra. They may have been witten by the author, Narahari, but even if he did, often verses like this are based on traditional sources. Any suggestions as to where to begin looking for a possible source would be much appreciated. Since this text was written in the 18th century I am wondering if there is some Sufi/Urdu poetry influence. Kaishmir Shaivism is another possibility.

atra ślokāḥ  |

varayogyāsi kalyāṇi na sthāsyasi varaṁ vinā  |

varaṇīyo varastādṛgyo bhavedajarāmaraḥ ||13||

na śṛṇoṣi varaṁ yāvattāvatte kampate manaḥ  |

paścānmahottsavairbhadre svāminaṁ tvaṁ variṣyasi  ||14||

pareṇa puruṣeṇādya ramasva vacanānmama  |

sakhi paścātsvataścittaṁ kuru yatrādhikaṁ sukham  ||15||

yātaṁ dinaṁ na punareti navaṁ vayaste lajjāṁ vihāya bhaja taṁ ramaṇīyarūpam  |

bāle paraḥ puruṣa eṣa yadā sametaḥ svargeṇa kiṁ kimu tadā nṛsukhena vā te  ||16||

Some verses on this.

13. O beautiful one, you are ready for a husband. You will not remain without a husband. The husband to be chosen should be one free from aging and death.

14. O auspicious one, as long as you do not hear about your husband your mind will be agitated. After (hearing) you will choose your husband with great rejoicing.

15. O friend, now, because of my words, delight with another man (the supreme puruṣa). Later establish your mind, yourself, where there is superior happiness.

16. O youth, the past day will not come again. You have new youth. Abandon modesty and enjoy that beautiful one. When this supreme puruṣa is met then what is the use of heaven or human happiness for you?

Thankyou,

Dr Jennifer Cover

Sydney

Australia