yugas and colours

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 1 12:00:31 UTC 2009

Dear all,

Thank you for all those helpful replies.  My doubt is laid to rest.
Since I was aware of this notion only from the Bhaagavatapuraa.na, I
had been wondering whether it could really already be the basis for a
trope in a Cambodian inscription dated to "saka 801 (K. 713).  Thanks
to all these reponses, it is now quite clear to me that it can.  The
verse in question (verse 25) reads:

sa.mrak.sati k.siti.m yatra "saure"s "sauklyam bhaved yadi
ida.m yuga.m k.rtayuga.m yathaivaabhaati sarvvathaa

I wasn't convinced by what the printed translations make of this, and
I now feel more confident that it should indeed be understood to mean
something like this:

"If, with him protecting the earth, "Sauri were white [rather than
being K.r.s.na], then this age would appear to be in every respect
like the K.rtayuga [although it is in fact of course the Kaliyuga]."

Dominic Goodall