Caraka-Samhita, English translation - help requested

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Wed May 27 04:55:18 UTC 2009

The premier libraries are digitalizing old publications in their possession. The Visva Bharati University at Santiniketan,WB aimed at publications dating before 1924. The task is going on. I have not found it necessary to use the digital library of the VIsva Bharati. But you may enquire at <visva-bharati at visva-bharati.ac.in>.
You may, perhaps, also enquire at the National Library and the Asiatic Society
<aslibcal at cal.vsnl.net.in>,
both at Kolkata. I may enquire at the last mentioned Institute. But, then,  for any positive result I have to be at Kolkata that may not happen before mid-June.
DB
--- On Tue, 26/5/09, Gruenendahl, Reinhold <gruenen at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE> wrote:

From: Gruenendahl, Reinhold <gruenen at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE>
Subject: Caraka-Samhita, English translation - help requested
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Tuesday, 26 May, 2009, 9:44 PM

The first volume with parts 1-32 of Kisari Mohan Ganguli's English
translation of the Caraka-Samhita can now be downloaded from the GRETIL
e-library (address see below).

Volume 2 with parts 33-60 is in the pipeline, but will take some time due to
the poor print quality of the original, which hampers the recognition rate of
the background text of both e-books.

Unfortunately, this library has never received the remaining parts (61-68) of
Ganguli's translation. Would someone be so kind as to tell me from where good
copies or scans can be ordered so I can eventually complete the e-book?

[By the way, Ganguli's translation is often ascribed to the publisher,
Avinash Chandra Kaviratna - much like Ganguli's translation of the
Mahabharata, which is usually ascribed to Pratap Candra Roy.]

Thanks in advance,
Reinhold Grünendahl

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83

gruenen at sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm

GRETIL e-library:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gr_elib.htm