Akota bronzes--a few pages please!

Claudine Bautze-Picron cbpicron at GMX.DE
Thu May 21 07:35:43 UTC 2009

Dear Jonathan,

Check indeed the paper by G. Bhattacharya mentioned before (down this mail), it is also republished in "Essays on Buddhist, Hindu, Jain Iconography & Epigraphy", by Gouriswar Bhattacharya (Studies in Bengal Art Series N° 1, Dhaka: The International Centre for Study of Bengal Art, 2000, pp. 385-406) - see in particularly his endnote 134 (with references to Edgerton & von Hinüber).
Claudine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Jonathan Silk
Sent: Donnerstag, 21. Mai 2009 09:21
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Akota bronzes--a few pages please!

I confess that it occured to me only too late of course to check Sircar
first of all--rather stupid, sorry!

But the context itself as well as othe reference cited by Stefan make me
strongly suspect that the answer should be sought elsewhere (that is, I
don't think we should be disposed to take deva as = deva). A graphic error
is hardly possible, I should think; is there a phonological explanation?
Again, I apologize but our library is closed until next week...

many thanks jonathan

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden