amrita

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Sat May 16 10:22:03 UTC 2009

Dear Professor Bijlert,
It will take time to search so that,in a hurry,I can give just a hint that you may yourself check.
In the hymns to the fathers, AVŚ.18 (AVP.18.56-82)it is prayed that the departed one is placed in am.rtatva. Since long life is absurd here the intended meaning seems to be 'immortality'.
The text of the Asiatic Society AVP version of the hymns to the fathers has been printed but at present is in fascicules. It will come out in no time when I furnish them with an Introduction. I am in it.
Best
DB

--- On Sat, 16/5/09, victor van bijlert <victorvanbijlert at KPNPLANET.NL> wrote:

From: victor van bijlert <victorvanbijlert at KPNPLANET.NL>
Subject: amrita
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Saturday, 16 May, 2009, 3:12 PM
Dear friends,

I remember vaguely to have learned that in Vedic Sanskrit the word amrita
does not mean immortality but rather something like ' long life'. Can anyone
provide me with some references to articles on this word? I am also looking
for parallels in other Vedic texts of the so-called Purusha-sukta (Rig Veda
10.90).Or perhaps adaptations of this hymn in later Sanskrit literature:
Epics, Puranas.

With many greetings and many thanks

Victor van Bijlert

      Explore and discover exciting holidays and getaways with Yahoo! India Travel http://in.travel.yahoo.com/