Translations into Sanskrit

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Mar 23 18:05:27 UTC 2009

A text that should probably be included as the earliest extant
translation into Sanskrit (as far as I am aware). is the /YavanajAtaka/
of Sphujidhvaja. It was written in the third century CE. It is
purportedly a versified version of a prose translation of a Greek text
on astrology composed in Hellenistic Egypt. According to David Pingree,
the prose translation was carried out by Yavanezvara in the second
century CE during the reign of the Saka ruler Rudradaman I of Ujjain.

See vol 1:3 of:

Pingree, David, ed. and trans. 1978. /The YavanajAtaka of Sphujidhvaja/.
2 vols. Harvard Oriental Series, 48. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.

Luis González-Reimann