Help preserve cultural diversity (Was: Language barriers --- financial barriers)

Paolo Magnone paolo.magnone at UNICATT.IT
Fri Mar 20 18:22:52 UTC 2009

Dear friends,

As this thread lingers on, I cannot help being baffled by the fact that
the aspects of the problem that loomed large in my thoughts right from
the first announce of it, to wit its broadly cultural, pedagogic, indeed
even political implications, have not ever been so much as barely
mentioned by anyone. I wonder whether this avoidance has been
deliberate, as a potentially troublesome topic, or whether there is
simply no widespread sensitivity to those aspects. But as more or less
subtle insinuations that only English is worth being THE language of
indological scholarship — and indeed, why not, of any scholarship —
multiply, I thought I should “give my two cents”, to use an expression
that would never occur to me if I were writing in Italian (we do not use
money metaphors — or for that matter, we do not refer to money — nearly
as pervasively as they do in (American) English).

This example helps to make my point: at the risk of stating the obvious,
language is not a neutral instrument, but is integral with the world
view it opens up. In Gadamer’s well-known words, “erst mit der Sprache
geht die Welt auf”. Or, to use another expression only roughly
translatable into English, language is die “Zusammengehörigkeit” (the
interconnection or mutual pertinence) of the subject and the world. To
some extent, the thinking and /ipso facto /speaking subject is “spoken”
by the language as much as he speaks it. He can never transcend the
linguistic world, but through other languages he can gain access to the
worlds of others.

Now, like all other objects, India is different — was opened up
different — in the different worlds. While I don’t want to belabour this
point (who does not admire the pioneering work of the English fathers of
indology?) I certainly would not like to give up — just as an example —
a world envisioning India as a “Land der Sehnsucht... [ein]
Wunderreich... eine verzauberte Welt... [ein] gesuchtes Land,  ein
wesentliches Moment der ganzen Geschichte” (Hegel), in favour of
another, where we are made to ask ourselves whether “we shall
countenance, at public expense”, preserving the culture of a land with
an “Astronomy, which would move laughter in girls at an English boarding
school, History, abounding with kings thirty feet high, and reigns
thirty thousand years long, and Geography, made up of seas of treacle
and seas of butter” (English politician, historian and /poet/ Macaulay,
only some fifteen-twenty years later). Of course, it would be unfair to
the extreme to put a Macaulay up against Hegel (and a politician up
against a philosopher); still, apart from the two personalities in
themselves, I suspect there is as much typically Anglosaxon
matter-of-factness speaking in Macaulay’s infamous “Minute on Indian
Education” as there is  typically German longing for the ineffable
transfactual in Hegel’s winged eulogy of India. (By the way, Macaulay
would have seconded the motion that indologists should give up writing
in their respective mother tongues in favour of English, a language
which in his opinion “stands pre-eminent even among the languages of the
west”, embodying a literature “of far greater value than all the
literature which three hundred years ago was extant in all the languages
of the world together”).

To leave that heroic age of the beginnings (the age of the “Renaissance
orientale”, contributed to by many but eminently embodied by German
Romanticism and bringing final fulfilment to that ideal of integral
Humanism which was the promise of the first Rinascimento of Italian
make) and to come to present day indology: all due allowance being made
for the personalities and even idiosyncrasies of the individual
scholars, there are unmistakably different flavours of indological
scholarship that find expression in the different linguistic worlds.
Whatever one may think of their respective worth, linguistic uniformity
subtends cultural uniformity, which to me is an evil in itself, to be
averted at all costs (and at that, I daresay the world is not faring
particularly well with the globalized angloamerican monoculture :-). Let
us preserve bio-diversity, let us preserve the rare indigenous varieties
of cultural crops!

--
Paolo Magnone
Lingua e letteratura sanscrita

Jambudvipa  - Indology and Sanskrit Studies (www.jambudvipa.net)

PS - As for the concern raised by the very title of this thread, that
the babel of tongues might constitute a barrier to the propagation of
indological knowledge I cannot do better than quote the well-known
/subhāṣita/: /anantapāraṃ kila śabdaśāstraṃ svalpaṃ tathāyur bahavaś ca
vighnāḥ sāraṃ tato grāhyam apāsya phalgu haṁsair yathā kṣīram
ivāmbumadhyāt. /Someone else may fancy that he would positively peruse
/all/ literature relevant to his field /if only/ it were written in
English; as for me, I candidly admit to being unable to attain
omniscience anyway; there are sure huge amounts of knowledge that escape
my grasp in spite of being couched in English (or Italian, or...); on
the other hand, I may go for something that I regard as really /sāravat/
even if it is enshrined (I would say, rather than concealed) in some of
the more out-of-the-way tongues.