Translations into Sanskrit

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Mar 19 15:28:32 UTC 2009

Samrāḍ Jagannātha translated Euclid into Sanskrit at the court of
Jayasiṃha (1688-1743).  Ed by Kamalāśaṅkara Prāṇaśaṅkara Trivedī, Bombay:
Nirṇasasāgara Press, 1901.  It was the Nasir ad-Din al-Tusi's Arabic tr.
of Euclid that was translated, not the original Greek.

Michael Dodson has written a good article on Ballantyne's 19th century
efforts in Benares to present European science of the time in Sanskrit
treatises.  He and his pandits produced treatises for example on
chemistry, the moon, and other topics.  See
 	http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=100309

Lancelot Wilkinson and his pandit Bapu Deva Sastri too worked on
translating Arabic and European astronomical treatises into Sanskrit.  See
Minikowski's paper in Michaels' book The Pandit
(http://books.google.com/books?id=0TtuAAAAMAAJ&pgis=1) and other papers.

Best,
--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk