Classical heritages

Richard Gombrich richard.gombrich at BALLIOL.OX.AC.UK
Thu Mar 19 15:38:16 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,  I remember that the late Prof. David Pingree once
said to me in conversation that there were about 30,000 surviving mss
of ancient Greek, a smaller number of Latin, and several million of
Sanskrit.  The trouble is, of course, that one is never comparing like
with like.  Almost all the surviving Sanskrit mss have been produced
within the last millennium; the vast majority, indeed, within the last
half millennium.  The production of mss in Latin and Greek was coming
to an end 500 years ago, and I believe that virtually no texts
physically survive from classical antiquity.  Inscriptions of course
are negligible in physical quantity compared to the kind of texts I
mean.

If we are talking of surviving texts rather than physical survivals,
Julius Caesar, by burning the library of Alexandria, deprived us of a
large part of our potential classical heritage.  Even so, I fancy that
the bulk of surviving Sanskrit texts would be far larger than the bulk
of Latin and Greek texts combined, including those we know to be
lost.  True, much depends on the cutoff date you choose for Sanskrit.
However, Vedic and Epic literature alone, before we even get to what
we normally think of as Sanskrit classical literature, are of
formidable size.

Richard Gombrich