MBh. 2.54.22

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 17 03:50:15 UTC 2009

As you've probably noticed, there seem to be a few other passages in
the Mahaabhaarata (2.25:6, 2.25:19, 2.47:4, 3.79:24) in which it is
clear that horses are meant.

It seems, by the way, that tittirikalmaa.sa should be treated as one
variety and not two, for there is a description of the king's stables
in Har.sacarita 2 which begins with:

atha vanaayujai.h , aara.t.tajai.h, kaambojai.h, bhaaradvaajai.h,
sandhude"sajai.h, paarasiikai"s ca, "so.nai"s ca, "syaamai"s ca,
"svetai"s ca, pi~njarai"s ca, haridbhi"s ca, tittirikalmaa.sai"s ca,
pa~ncabhadrai"s ca, mallikaak.sai"s ca, k.rttikaapi~njarai"s ca,
aayatanirmaa.msamukhai.h, anutka.takar.nako"sai.h,...

tittirikalmaa.sa there is taken by Cowell and Thomas to mean "dappled
like partridges", and this reflects the old commentary of "Sa"nkara
(pp.99--100 of Führer's edition), who has remarks to make on some of
the other horses too.

The feminine form, tittirikalmaa.sii (describing a mare?) is mentioned
in the Vaakyapadiiya.

Dominic Goodall
Pondicherry Centre,
Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient ("French School of Asian Studies"),
P.O. Box 151,
16 & 19, Dumas Street,
Pondicherry 605001