Krishna as Vishnu

Claudine Bautze-Picron cbpicron at GMX.DE
Sun Mar 1 09:35:40 UTC 2009

Not to forget, on the early period:

Herbert Härtel, « Archaeological Evidence on the Early Vâsudeva Worship »,
Orientalia Iosephi Tucci Memoriae Dicata, éd. G. Gnoli et L. Lanciotti, Rome
: Istituto Italiano per il Medio ed Estremo Oriente, 1987, pp. 573-87.

CBP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Indology [mailto:INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Harsha Dehejia
Sent: Samstag, 28. Februar 2009 14:04
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Krishna as Vishnu

Friends:

I am researching multi-arm images of Krishna.

It seems to be that at some point Krishna ceases to be an avatara and
becomes Vishnu himself.

A case in point is Jagganath Puri where Krishna is Jagganath, an appellation
reserved for Vishnu.

A Nepali stone image (?12 th century) that I recently saw shows Krishna with
8 arms holding even a Sudarshan chakra.

Am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Harsha V. Dehejia

Ottawa, ON., Canada.