New discovery in Tamil Nadu

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Jun 28 04:06:33 UTC 2009

There is, to my mind, a serious problem with the notion that the
Dravidians had no advanced culture and that the development of
civilization in the South was entirely inspired by and imported from
the North.  Surely this is part of a colonial narrative that has, one
hopes, been discredited.  The vocabulary of old Tamil evidences a
highly developed, intricate culture, especially regarding music,
performance, and the like.  Old Tamil also possesses an considerable
native vocabulary describing multi-storied houses and buildings.  (The
word nakar meaning "many-storied house" is native; the Dravidian word
is probably the source of Sanskrit nagaram). To my mind much of Indian
culture developed symbiotically both in the South and North, with both
areas influencing one another from at least the first century BCE (and
probably earlier) to produce a hybrid culture in both areas.  I don't
know how many historians of Britain would buy the argument that
everything advanced or noteworthy in old English culture came from the
Romans, but there is little likelihood that the great cities of the
Sangam era -- all of which had Tamil names -- were built as outposts
by invaders as London was.  What is true is that from at least the
Mauryan period, travelers and merchants went between north and south
pretty much as they do today.  They carried ideas and cultural themes
back and forth all the time, so that by the first century BCE the
Aryan north and Dravidian south had much in common and owed a great
deal to one another. The process was (and continues to be) an
extremely complex one, and whether a feature of Indian culture is
ultimately "Dravidian" or "Aryan" is often determined by the cultural
inclination of the person writing about it rather than by solid
evidence.  There are, however, areas in which old Tamil sheds
important light on Indian culture: it suggests, for example, that the
existence of caste (jaati, including Dalits) was pre-Aryan and that
many literary conventions made their way from a Southern folk
literature through Maharashtrian Prakrit into the Sanskrit canon.
Palani is the site of one of the most famous (and second richest)
temples in India.  It is near Madurai and has been a site of Murugan
worship for almost 2000 years -- see http://palani.org/.  G. Hart