New discovery in Tamil Nadu

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Jun 28 01:18:59 UTC 2009

Dear Stefan Baums,

Well, the Tamil would be pronounced vayiram, and that is the modern
Tamil word and how it has been written from ancient times -- one
supposes that if this is truly writing, it is an early form of Tamil
Brahmi.  It could be a purely Tamil development: vajra > vaciram >
vayiram.  There are several words where -ci- becomes -yi- (e.g.
Dravidian ucir > uyir; in spoken Tamil, ucir is still used.  Also
macir > mayir, and macir is still used in a rather obscene meaning).
There is, of course, no -j- sound in old Tamil, though it is used
extensively in borrowed words starting with inscriptions (though it is
never used in literary texts that are in centamiz -- I don't know
offhand when the earliest inscription with "j" appears).  Thanks for
the interesting reply -- I realized when I wrote this that my
knowledge of MIA is deficient.  The word vayiram, apparently meaning
"diamond," appears 3 times in Sangam Literature.  It's not clear from
the article why the word "diamond" would appear on the ring stand.
George Hart