Middle Indic textbook?

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya2004 at YAHOO.CO.IN
Tue Jun 16 01:48:01 UTC 2009

Dear Dr.Smith,
Pischel's is more a synchronic description of liiterary Prakrit. Chatterji-Sen's MIA Reader was accompanied by a grammar. These paid attention to inscriptional Prakrit too and from a delopmental point of view. As far as I know, the idea of Apabhramsa as a short lived intermediate stage between MIA and NIA  was Chatterji's.  But one knows more of his view from the introductory part of the ODBL. I do not think that sufficient attention has been paid to the development aspect of inscriptional Prakrit. Scholars cite Asokan parallels and the matter ends. Diachronic desriptions will be found.
The BORI/Pune works are mostly synchronic barring one on Apabhramsa (Tagare).
I am unaware of recent developments, if any
Best
DB

--- On Tue, 16/6/09, Smith, Frederick M <frederick-smith at UIOWA.EDU> wrote:

From: Smith, Frederick M <frederick-smith at UIOWA.EDU>
Subject: Middle Indic textbook?
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Tuesday, 16 June, 2009, 12:44 AM

What's the most authoritative account of the development of Middle Indic? Is it Pischel's book of more than a century ago? Or is there something more recent? Also, how has the work of S.K. Chatterji on Middle Indic and Bengali held up?

Thanks

Fred Smith

      Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.*Go to http://in.business.yahoo.com/