curricula in epigraphy

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 10 10:07:15 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,
The department of archaeology at the Universitas Indonesia (Jakarta) is setting up a new 2 year MA program in (Indonesian) Epigraphy. (Parenthetically, the department is one of the last remaining outposts of Sanskrit study in this country.) I have been asked to try to find examples of how such curricula are set up abroad. I don't imagine there's any academic institution in the world outside of Indonesia that offers any program in Indonesian epigraphy, but elsewhere in Southeast Asia and of course in South Asia there are comparable programs in the respective national/regional epigraphies. I have seen an online description of a (BA?) curriculum in the dept. of History at the Royal University of Phnom Penh, which contains a lot of Khmer epigraphy. I have also seen a description of a 'paper' in Epigraphy & Numismatics as part of the Post-graduate diploma in Archaeology offered by the Institute of Archaeology, ASI, Delhi. I would be interested to see similar descriptions of related curricula offered elsewhere in India (and the rest of South Asia). For comparison, I have seen (post)graduate curricula in Roman/Greek epigraphy at Cambridge and London in the UK, and a related summer school in the US (Ohio).
I would be grateful for other useful references.
Sincere greetings,
Arlo GriffithsÉcole française d'Extrême-Orient (EFEO)Jalan Ampera III, no. 26Jakarta Selatan 12550Indonesia
www.efeo.fr