gzhi gsum

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at PADMACHOLING.PLUS.COM
Mon Jun 1 22:50:15 UTC 2009

Dear Matthew,

I can see you are really trying to help, but no Waldschmidt does not help
either ~ the Mahaparinirvana-sutra he edited is the Sarvastivadin one, not
the Mahayana version.  There are fragments of 24 folios of the Mahayana
Mahaparinirvana-sutra, but my gzhi gsum does not occur in any of them, alas.

However, I think I have found the term as "tri-vastu", as I had suspected,
in the Divyavadana.

Anyway, thnaks for your thoughts !

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge

----- Original Message -----
From: <mkapstei at UCHICAGO.EDU>
To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: gzhi gsum

Dear Stephen,

It's indeed an interesting locution, particularly
given that the source text is Indic. I suspect you're
right to think that vastu is a better candidate than
bhaava, but have you ruled out aazraya? In any case,
if the Chinese versions are using sanbao throughout,
they're of no help at all here. Do you find anything
in the Turfan fragments edited by Waldschmidt?

Matthew

Matthew T. Kapstein
Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies
The University of Chicago Divinity School

Directeur d'études
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris=