Octavio Paz

Horacio Francisco Arganis Juarez h.arganisjuarez at YAHOO.COM.MX
Wed Jul 29 00:19:10 UTC 2009

Dear Professor Stella:
Independently what is the Octavio Paz source, He was one of the great Mexican poets and writters that study Indian literature and Culture. Others were Alfonso Reyes, Jose Vasconselos, Francisco I. Madero, Amado Nervo. They are studied in Spanish Literature too.
Regards.
Horacio Francisco Arganis-Juarez. Lic. M.A.
Researcher of Universidad Internacional Euroamericana.
IEFAC, IBCH and U A de C.

--- El mar 28-jul-09, Stella Sandahl <ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA> escribió:

De:: Stella Sandahl <ssandahl at SYMPATICO.CA>
Asunto: Octavio Paz
A: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Fecha: martes 28 de julio de 2009, 21:26

Dear colleagues,
In Octavio Paz' charming book In Light of India he quotes (page 160) one poem by VallaNa:

"Beauty is not
in what the words say
but in that which they say without saying it:
not naked, but through a veil,
breasts become desirable."

and another by BhavabhUti:

"Armed with their rules and precepts,
many condemn my verses.
I don't write for them, but for that soul, twin to mine,
who will be born tomorrow,
Time is long and the world wide."

These are obviously verses from the SubhASitaratnakoSa (1705 and 1731 respectively),  translated by Ingalls in his An Anthology of Sanskrit Court Poetry (1965) p. 442 and 445.
My question is: Did Octavio Paz reinterpret Ingalls' translations (which are much longer) or is he quoting somebody else's translations? If the latter, whose translations?
There are obviously no footnotes in Paz' book, although he refers to Ingalls in the text (p. 149).
I would be grateful if somebody can throw light on this.
Stella Sandahl

      ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web! Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8. http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=mx