'adhimukti'

McComas Taylor mccomas.taylor at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Jul 28 03:24:27 UTC 2009

Dear friends

A colleague, Ruth Gamble, has posted me this question:

"The word is adhimukti [mos pa or mos gus in Tibetan].  In one of the
poems I am looking at it is used in conjunction with spyod pa, or carya
-- adhimukticarya...  adhi [above, over, on] and mukti is liberation,
right?  So why does the Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon list the
meaning for adhimukti as "propensity, confidence"?  And, more
intriguingly, why do you think most Tibetan translators translate mos
pa/mos gus as "devotion"?"

A can anyone cast any light on why adhimukti might mean 'propensity,
confidence'?

Thanks in advance

McComas