Herodotus' gold-digging ants in India

Paul Kiparsky kiparsky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sun Jul 19 07:21:22 UTC 2009

According to Australian geoscientist Anna Petts, "local villagers in
Africa are known to pan soil from termite mounds to recover gold
nuggets up to 1 centimetre in size" (http://www.abc.net.au/science/
articles/2009/05/08/2562546.htm, see also http://www.afrol.com/
articles/10447).

When I read this it occurred to me that Herodotus' famous story about
giant ants in India that bring up gold when digging their mounds and
tunnels might really refer to termites.  I realize that Michel
Peissel's suggestion that Herodotus' ants are marmots is widely
accepted, and it is supported by reports that the Minaro on the Indo-
Pak border used to sift sand from marmot mounds to get gold.
However, termites seem a better fit in other respects.  Their mounds
are bigger, and certain termite species burrow as much as 30 meters
into the ground to excavate building material. Herodotus says
explicitly that these creatures "look like our ants".  He says they
are much bigger than ants though, and indeed, some termite species
can reportedly be up to 20 cm long.  (True, he compares them in size
to a fox, which would fit the marmot better, but perhaps he is
exaggerating).  Also, Callimachus fr. 202 adds the information that
the ants are winged, which is true of termites during the swarming
season (June to August in Pakistan)

Do you know of any references to termite mounds or anthills in
Sanskrit literature that might shed light on this question?  If there
are modern survivals of this technique, they would most likely be
found in remote parts of Pakistan.

Paul