AW: Spreading cow dung under trees

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Sun Jul 12 22:41:05 UTC 2009

Dear Ryan,

What Axel says is very true. However in the Indic world, trees also
have their own special sacral significance from at least as early as
the fourth millennium BCE (Kot Diji pottery with bodhi leaves on it)
and very clear tree chaityas  (probably not called that)  including
platforms or fences on Indus Civilization seals and sealings. Tree
shrines in and of themselves, exist in every part of India I have been
to and commonly relate to
Buddha, Shiva, Vishnu, and Durga/Kali along with a endless varieties
of Yaksha/is and the like.

Trees as Stupa analogue seems fairly obvious since both fall into the
greater generic category of "chaitya." Which can also be any of a
number of appointed or appropriated objects of some sort of presumed
potency.

John