On the origin of the aaryaa meter (Re: Choice of meter for writing a treatise: s'loka vs. aaryaa

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at LING-PHIL.OX.AC.UK
Sat Jul 11 14:27:27 UTC 2009

re: the use of āryās in "scientific" literature, warder pointed out (in a
footnote at the beginning of the gaṇacchandas section, if i'm remembering
correctly) that the āryā is extremely flexible and so can accomodate a lot
of technical terms.  the other abstract practical benefit is that it's
longer than the śloka.  that, of course, doesn't explain *why* certain
treatises were written in āryās.  alsdorf has written on the āryās in
buddhist and jain literature (the āryā stanzas of the uttarajjhāyā,
wiesbaden 1966; die āryā-strophen des pali canons, wiesbaden 1968;
itthīparinnā in IIJ 2 (1958): 249-270; and his appendix to the PTS's 2nd
edition of the thera- and therīgāthās, 1966).  it does seem from norman's
article that he thinks the āryā was especially popular in certain times and
places (mahārāṣṭra in first few centuries ce).  i'm not sure what this means
for the sāṃkhyakārikā or the bṛhatsamhitā.  if it was already "popular"
(from erotic prakrit lyric or other genres) it might have seemed as viable
as the śloka for long technical treatises to certain people.  according to
alsdorf, some ślokas even got corrupted into āryās in the course of
transmission---the opposite of what happens in, e.g., pali.  re: george
hart's recent response, "influence" is very hard to pin down.  it does seem
clear that the āryā is the final product of a long period of experimental
composition in structurally similar verse-forms (cf. randle in the p.k.
commemoration volume, pune 1960) in indo-aryan languages.  but dravidian may
have "influenced" āryā-type verses indirectly, by influencing the phonology
(especially prosodic phonology) of the indo-aryan languages in which the
earliest mātrā-meters were composed.  the other line of argumentation, not
necessarily incompatible with this, is associated with jacobi in ZDMG 1884
590-619: the mātrā-meters developed out of certain vedic meters by
resolution, anaclasis, etc.

andrew ollett
(mphil student/oxford)