Spreading cow dung under trees

John C. Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Sat Jul 11 16:28:44 UTC 2009

Dear Ryan,

To the present day in Sanskrit Buddhism (as practiced in nepal) a
place to be demarcated as sacred is "purified" by spreading a thin
layer of mud mixed with cow dung over it.  It is a simple but deeply
rooted ritual that I have never really investigated but I know it to
be a necessary preliminary for any major ceremony. Once accomplished
every one must remove their shoes when entering the sacred space.  In
one case, the officiants at a puja did the entire floor of a big room
in an upper story of a Bahal (Vihara) as the intent was to make the
room the interior of the mandala palace in Akanishta Paradise. I am
sure I have numerous photographs of this if you would like to see
some. The initiation that was going to take place was to the
Dharmdhatu Vagishvara Manjughosha.

I hope this is useful for you

John

John C. Huntington, Professor