formal debate technique

Dominik Wujastyk d.wujastyk at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Jul 1 17:54:28 UTC 2009

Tibetan formal debating is quite physical, with the hands being clapped
etc.  This will be familiar to many readers of this list and is described,
for example, in Georges Dreyfus, The Sound of Two Hands Clapping (2003),
pp.217 ff.

See, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crvh74HtYJA

In the Carakasaṃhitā, vi.8.15, there is a description of some reasons why
one might want to debate.  The text says that in the heat of a debate, a
teacher may accidentally blurt out some information about advanced topics
that the students have not yet covered.  So its advantageous to them.

ācāryaḥ ... paraspareṇa saha jalpan piṇḍena vijigīṣur āha saṃharṣāt /

arguing with each other, the teacher, out of excitement (saṃharṣa) says
that [i.e., secret], with a piṇḍa.

I'm writing to ask about this piṇḍa.  The 11th century commentator
Cakrapāṇi glosses it as "sāroddhāreṇa", i.e., "with a pithy text".  So a
piṇḍa is a "gobbet," in 20th century parlance.  That works quite well, but
I'm not convinced.

The 20th century editor, Trikamji, notes in a footnote that there is
another reading "paṇḍena", that the commentator Gaṅgādhara explains as
being "by the light of his learnedness".  Hmm.

It crossed my mind that this piṇḍena - if that's what the MSS really say -
might possibly refer to some physical gesture.  Does anyone have any
suggestions about this?

Thanks,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk
International Institute of Asian Studies

long term email address: wujastyk at gmail.com