invertebrates

Alexandra Vandergeer geeraae at GEOL.UOA.GR
Wed Jan 21 08:47:05 UTC 2009

Dear Stefan,

Thanks for the info. Personally, I think the abhisArikA explanation is of
the type 'wishful thinking'; some people seem to like to see more in art
works than there really is. Though, admittedly, the mating behaviour of
scorpions (see DVD of Attenborough) is strange (like most spiders and
spider-likes): after a long 'dance', the male tangles the female and holds
her thightly during the whole mating process, in an attempt to safeguard
himself for the dangerious stinging tail. It might thus give the
non-biologist the idea of a dance plus firm embracement. So an abhisArikA
explanation might work, theoretically.

Alexandra