nakedness of female ascetics

diwakar acharya acharyadiwakar at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 9 04:43:07 UTC 2009

One more anecdote.

I remember two incidents from my childhood days in the 80s. I
do not remember the exact years but both happened before I entered Sanskrit
hostel in 1986.

One year, there was a special attraction: a young completely
naked na.mgini was sitting among many naagaas inside the courtyard of the Pashupati
temple in Kathmandu. She had smeared ashes all
over the body, was rather brave and paying no attention to opposing Nagas. Then
it was customary for the king to pay a visit to the temple and offer some gifts
to the naked Sadhus. As she was in the front row, along his path to temple, she
was asked to move to the back row. That she agreed. Such incident might have
happened before and after that year but I have not witnessed.

I also remember my visit to a rather old and frail na.mgini
in Vankali, in the same area. This must be even before the first incident.
Generally, we, children in the area, were very much
afraid of her. She looked terrible and used to shout at children, when they
teased or troubled her. One day my grandmother asked me to accompany her to
visit the Na.mgini. My grandma, who was born in Sindhupalchok, was asked by one
of her relatives there to tell the the na.mgini that one of her relatives in
the village has died. She used to live in a Yaj~na”saalaa with an agniku.n.da
in the middle. Local people say that this was built by King Mahendra for her (Now
this yaj~na”saalaa is modified, annexed to a new structure and turned into the chamber
of Treasurer of Pashupati Area Development Trust). She was calm inside, I was
surprised. She had smeared ashes, put a rag around her waist to cover the
private parts, but breasts were not covered. She showed indifference, obviously
was not affected by the news.

Diwakar Acharya

Graduate School of Letters

Kyoto University