navavars ̣aṃ madhumayam, a transla tion and a request

Alfred Collins acollins at GCI.NET
Sun Jan 4 22:17:58 UTC 2009

Dear Dr. Jha and all,

Here is my poor and probably error-filled attempt at an English translation of the lovely poem, and a request to anyone who might be able to help in another matter:

As a Sanskritist avant l'Internet I am woefully ignorant of how to use web resources in Sanskrit. In particular I need help in accessing the text of the Rg Veda, Brahmanas, Upanisads, Mbh, and Samkhya-Yoga texts and commentaries on line, and with the Monier-Williams dictionary on line. Also the rudiments of how to do diacritics and Devanagari in email. (My research lies in the area of Indian psychology and philosophy of the self (both atman/purusa and ahamkara/abhimana/asmita types). What I would really like is to find a graduate student seeking a little work, whom I could employ at whatever is the appropriate rate of pay to guide me into this electronic vidya, perhaps over the next six months or so. Does anyone have a suggestion? Bhadram te, if so.

Al Collins

1. [fall to winter]
The beauty of the lotus in the pond dims, overwhelmed by ice,
The water of the mountain stream is hurled up with confused noise in the fissures of the rocks,
A bird, though afraid of the snowy water has drunk without distress:
All shows violent men how sweet is the New Year.

2. [winter to spring]
In the rising of the new (year) the lotus pours out sweet-smelling nectar,
The thicket of vines gives joy to birds that drink the honey of the gunja flower,
The deer wanders freely and actively, delighting in his troop:
The fearless song sounds out , (proclaiming) the beautiful New Year.