signature verses

Som Dev Vasudeva somadevah at MAC.COM
Tue Feb 24 17:10:44 UTC 2009

On Feb 24, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Michael Hahn wrote:

> I wonder whether someone knows an example prior to the Buddhist poet
> and
> grammarian Candragomin whose floruit is around 450 or 470 CE. See,
> inter
> alia, my book "Invitation to Enlightenment," Berkeley 1999.

There is of course the related practice of using pen-names and
signature words (-aṅka, -lāñchana, -cihna), commonly also at the
end of cantos, that might be considered here. An early one (if
attestation exists) might be Caüraciṃdha. Hemacandra (1088-1172 ce)
in his Deśīnāmamālā 3.7 gives Caüraciṃdha (= Skt. caturacihna)
as a  pen-name for the Sātavāhana king Hāla. See H.C. Bhayani,
Indological Studies, Ahmedabad 1993, pp.170–171.

S.D.Vasudeva