frequencies

Klaus Karttunen klaus.karttunen at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Feb 19 08:55:58 UTC 2009

It would be interesting to study the roots of the common Sanskrit
dictionaries. The influence of Böhtlingk & Roth has been enormous,
but there were other sources, notably the famous early Sanskrit-
English dictionary edited by H. H. Wilson (1819, 2nd ed. 1831). Long
ago I was checking the definition of some ritual terms in various
dictionaries and noted that Apte had often copied, in a slightly
condensed form, the very words of some longer definitions from
Wilson. By the way, Wilson is the dictionary Rückert is said to have
copied by hand as the book was too expensive.

Klaus Karttunen