AW: Macdonell and Whitney Grammars

Gruenendahl, Reinhold gruenen at SUB.UNI-GOETTINGEN.DE
Tue Feb 17 07:01:23 UTC 2009

On 14 Feb 2009 at 2:47, Oliver Fallon wrote:

> The underlying text of the GRETIL scans of Whitney

> (http://opac.sub.uni-goettingen.de:80/DB=1.20/SET=2/TTL=1/SHW?FRST=1)

> is very accurate. However there are still some problems: (...) Much

> of the romanised Sanskrit comes out with spacing between individual

> letters which may have to be manually removed and some of the N?gar?

> is included which will also need deletion (see pasted section below

> randomly selected: p. 244, §647 a,b).

Dear Oliver,

the erratic spacing is caused by a communication problem between my OCR
programme and Adobe Acrobat. No fault of the OCR-programme, I have been
assured - which doesn't make it any better. When I did Whitney's Grammar
almost a year ago, I didn't have a clue how to work around this problem.

Since you drew attention to it I thought this might be the right time to
bring out a revision. It is still far from perfect, but there shouldn't be
too many spacings left. You can now download it from the same PURL:

http://resolver.sub.uni-goettingen.de/purl/?gr_elib-2

Or look it up in the online catalogue:

http://opac.sub.uni-goettingen.de/DB=1.20/LNG=EN/

[Unfortunately it doesn't come up on top of the chronological "All titles"
list as it should, having today's date. I'll have to sort that out to make
sure that future revisions are properly announced.]

Kind regards

Reinhold

Dr. Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
Fachreferat sued- und suedostasiatische Philologien
(Dept. of Indology)

37070 Goettingen, Germany
Tel (+49) (0)5 51 / 39 52 83

gruenen at sub.uni-goettingen.de

FACH-INFORMATIONEN INDOLOGIE, GOETTINGEN:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindolo.htm
In English:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/fiindole.htm

GRETIL - Goettingen Register of Electronic Texts in Indian Languages:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gretil.htm

GRETIL e-library:
http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ebene_1/fiindolo/gr_elib.htm