underwater hell or otherworld

Adheesh Sathaye adheesh1 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 9 22:50:52 UTC 2009

Dear Jonathan,

Not 'hells', but there is a recurring motif of an undersea world (or
at least a fabulous land accessible through the ocean) within Skt.
kathā literature. In Śivadāsa's version of the Vetāla-
pañcaviṃśati, it is found in story 8 (which is cognate with ATU
tale type 1889H, "Submarine Underworld" if you're a folklorist), and
in story 11. In the Kathāsaritsāgara's version of the VP, these are
the stories #7 and 12, respectively, and I'd suggest your colleague
take a look at Penzer's still quite useful comparative notes to
Tawney's translation of the KSS (_Ocean of Story_), as found in vol.
6, pp. 278-285, and vol. 7, pp. 211-212.

If you don't mind indulging in some folkloristic jargon, in addition
to the numerous international versions noted under ATU 1889H in the
Aarne-Thompson-Uther tale type index, she may also consult references
to motifs F133, "Submarine otherworld" and F725.2, "Submarine cities,"
in both Stith Thompson's Motif-Index as well as the Motif Index of
Indic Oral Tales (Thompson-Balys). I don't, however, recall seeing
many references to Indic versions of these motifs.

hope this is somewhat useful!

best,

Adheesh

----