devanagari for the mac

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Aug 27 12:39:02 UTC 2009

Herman Tull schreef:

> I imagine everyone on the list is cringing at the subject line.  I apologize.  I know we have had this discussion many times over.  But, I want to ask this in a specific way.  I would like my first year Sanskrit students to work on their devanagari word-processing skills [...]

For the Indological use of Unicode on Macs, please see my page

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~zydenbos/unicodeosx.html

As Paul Hackett already mentioned: Nagari support is built into the
Macintosh system (just as it is on Linux with the KDE user interface).
An additional program is not needed. I use the "Devanagari - QWERTY"
keyboard layout, because I have still not taken the time to master the
alternative, "Devanagari", which is the Indian-made Inscript layout.

Robert Zydenbos
Universität München