ZDMG articles downloadable as single files [Download Manager]

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at INDICA-ET-BUDDHICA.ORG
Sat Aug 22 23:46:44 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 06:28:13PM -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> I believe the problem is not related to versions of Adobe, since I am
> even able to read them in Adobe 6. The problem is the slow server speed
> feedling the pdfs. The first few articles I tried to download also were
> broken and unreadable.
>
> To test whether that is case, look at the size (in k or MBs) of the file
> you are trying to download, and then look at the size of what you have
> downloaded. If the one on your computer is smaller, you've downloaded an
> incomplete file which won't open.
>
> The server is sending them at such a slow rate, that downloads terminate,
> without warning or error message, prematurely. That can only be cured by
> faster server speed on the ZDMG end.

If the Halle servers are indeed suffering from inadequate bandwidth
&c. then it might help to use a dedicated download manager rather than
one's web browser to get hold of the material. I've found Sun
Microsystems' `Download Manager' useful (it can also automatically
unzip archives after the download):

 Sun Download Manager 2.0 :: Download
 http://www.sun.com/download/sdm/download.xml

This application is free and runs on any system with Java installed on
it. Reasonably exhaustive instructions are available here:

 Sun Download Manager 2.0 :: Help
 http://www.sun.com/download/sdm/sdm_help.xml

Kind regards,

 Richard

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org