typing Devanagari

Deshpande, Madhav mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Apr 29 12:39:31 UTC 2009

In my experience, the procedure described by Steven works on Mac OSX, but the MS Word (2008) does not fully support implimentation of unicode Devanagari, and hence the conjuncts do not show up properly.  However, this procedure seems to work fine in Text-Edit, web browsers like Opera, and also i NeoOffice.  However, the MS Office for Mac is not yet supporting Devanagari.  If someone knows how to properly use unicode Devanagari with MS Word for Mac, I would like to know how to do it.  Best,

Madhav M. Deshpande

From: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Steven Lindquist [slindqui at MAIL.SMU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:03 AM
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Subject: Re: typing Devanagari

There is a Devanagari keyboard/font that is now part of OSX.  Under
the "Apple" drop down menu choose "System Preferences" and then
"International".  Then under "Input Menu" you can select Devanagari
and/or Devanagari QWERTY.  At the bottom of this display box, make
sure "Show input menu in menu bar" is "on."  In the upper right of
your menu bar (near the clock), you will now have a way to select the
keyboard input (US, US Extended, Devanagari, etc.).  I just tried it
again (since I almost never use Devanagari myself) and it seems to
work fine (the font automatically changes to match the keyboard).  You
can use this keyboard for any unicode Devanagari font (like Sanskrit
2003, etc.). Contact me off-list, if the above isn't clear.

My best,

Steven

--
Steven Lindquist