The Indus script - lost perishable manuscripts

Asko Parpola asko.parpola at HELSINKI.FI
Mon Apr 27 16:33:51 UTC 2009

Quoting "Steve Farmer" <saf at SAFARMER.COM>:

The implausibility of the view that the so-called Indus script was
true writing is suggested in many ways that do not require
sophisticated analyses. The simplest argument is the best: the sheer
brevity of the inscriptions. We possess thousands of inscribed Indus
objects on a wide range of materials. The average inscription is 4-5
symbols long and the longest, found on a highly anomalous piece,
carries 17. Before our paper, the lack of real texts was explained
away by invoking the purely speculative image of lost perishable
manuscripts. The speculation was spurious: we know of hundreds of
literate societies, but not of one that wrote long texts on perishable
materials but failed to do so as well on durable goods. It is
interesting that simple arguments like this have been ignored by
defenders of the traditional view, who often hold that view for
reasons that have nothing to do with science.

------------------------------

Steve Farmer here goes on repeating arguments published in 2004,
claiming that "simple arguments like this have been ignored by
defenders of the traditional view, who often hold that view for
reasons that have nothing to do with science". Farmer thus forces me
to this reply, given to make it easy to the members of the list to
check if this is true or not. In my paper of 2008 referred to by
Pankaj Jain and available for download at http://www.harappa.com I
list all the main theses of Farmer & Co. and reply to them one by one.
(In addition I discuss some important issues not touched by Farmer &
Co.) Below is a quote from pp. 117-118 exemplifying how I replied to
this "Lost longer texts (manuscripts) never existed" thesis. Please
note that the Harappans wrote on stone in their stamp seals, and that
the Mesopotamian seal inscriptions are often equally short. Later on
in the article I mention that the type of texts I expect to be lost is
exemplified by the Mycenaean Linear B tablets, i.e. economic accounts,
not literature, which was probably handed down orally, and even in
Mesopotamia was written down at a relatively late date. The rest of
this message consists of the quote from my paper.

With best regards, Asko Parpola

*"Lost" longer texts (manuscripts) never existed*

All literary civilizations produced longer texts but there are none
from the Indus Valley — hence the Indus script is no writing system:
Farmer and his colleagues reject the much repeated early assumption
that longer texts may have been written on birch bark, palm leaves,
parchment, wood, or cotton cloth, any of which would have perished in
the course of ages as suggested by Sir John Marshall in 1931 (I, 39).
Farmer and his colleagues are ready to believe the Indus script thesis
only if an Indus text at least 50 signs long is found.

*But* even though Farmer and his colleagues speak as if our present
corpus of texts was everything there ever existed, this is not the
case. More than 2100 Indus texts come from Mohenjo-daro alone, and yet
less than one tenth of that single city has been excavated. Farmer and
his colleagues do not know what has existed and what may be found in
the remaining parts of the city, even if it is likely that only
imperishable material of the kinds already available continue to be
found. The Rongo-Rongo tablets of Easter Island are much longer than
50 signs. But does this make it certain that they represent writing in
the strict sense?

Seed evidence shows that cotton has been cultivated in Greater Indus
Valley since Chalcolithic times, and cotton cloth is supposed to have
been one of the main export items of the Harappans. Yet all the
millions of Harappan pieces of cotton cloth have disappeared for
climatic reasons, save four cases where a few microscopic fibers have
been preserved in association with metal (cf. Possehl 2002: table 3.2,
with further references). Alexander‘s admiral Nearchus mentions
thickly woven cloth used for writing letters in the Indus Valley c 325
BC. Sanskrit sources such as the Ya:jñavalkya-Smrti (1,319) also
mention cotton cloth, (ka:rpa:sa-)paTa, as writing material around the
beginning of the Christian era. But the earliest preserved examples
date from the 13th century AD (cf. Shivaganesha Murthy 1996: 45-46;
Salomon 1998: 132).

Emperor Asoka had long inscriptions carved on stone (pillars and
rocks) all around his wide realm in 260 to 250 BC. They have survived.
But also manuscripts on perishable materials must have existed in
Asoka‘s times and already since the Achaemenid rule started in the
Indus Valley c 520 BC. This is suggested among other things by the
mention of lipi ‗script‘ in Pa:Nini‘s Sanskrit Grammar (3,2,21) which
is dated to around 400-350 BC. Sanskrit lipi comes from Old Persian
dipi ‗script‘. The earliest surviving manuscripts on birch bark, palm
leaves and wooden blocks date from the 2nd century AD and come from
the dry climate of Central Asia (cf. Shivaganesha Murthy 1996: 24-36;
Salomon 1998: 131). We can conclude that manuscripts on perishable
materials have almost certainly existed in South Asia during 600 years
from the start of the Persian rule onwards, but they have not been
preserved; this period of 600 years with no surviving manuscripts
corresponds to the duration of the Indus Civilization.