Indus script

George Hart glhart at BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Apr 27 14:18:28 UTC 2009

Michael --

It seems to me that there is not enough IV "writing" to hope to
decipher it -- if in fact it is writing.  One possibility is that it a
system of symbols that nonetheless contains linguistic components.
For example, my name is "Hart," so if I were to design a family
device, I'd probably put a heart in it -- or perhaps a deer.  In fact,
my father did put hearts on the shutters of the house we used to own.
So the fact that it may simply be symbols does not necessarily mean
that "six fish" doesn't mean Dravidian *caaRu *miin, "six stars,"
"pleiades," as that might have been a component of someone's name or
have something to do with an ancestor's occupation (astrologer?).  In
any event, without longer "texts" -- which may or may not have ever
existed -- I don't see how we can know.  George