Rao et al. and the Indus symbol system

Steve Farmer saf at SAFARMER.COM
Sun Apr 26 19:07:30 UTC 2009

An influential computational linguist -- Mark Liberman at the
University of Pennsylvania -- weighs in on the Rao et al. paper in
his widely read blog, which is read world-wide. Liberman uses words
as strong as ours (which he quotes) in judging the statistical
nonsense in the paper.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1374

Note that he promises more to follow.

We expect that we will have a formal response in Science in the
coming weeks as well as at upcoming Indus conferences (e.g., in Kyoto
in May). Other linguists we've talked to about the paper plan on
submitting their own letters.

Everyone is baffled at how this got by the peer reviewers at Science,
unless they knew no statistics or just wanted to "stir the pot", as
if more of that is needed.

Note what Liberman (whom none of us knows personally) says at the end
about the amusingly credulous "Wired" article that was posted on this
List yesterday:

> For now, I'll only register a small complaint about the lede in the
> story "Artificial Intelligence Cracks 4,000-Year-Old Mystery",
> Wired, 4/23/2009:
>
>> An ancient script that's defied generations of archaeologists has
>> yielded some of its secrets to artificially intelligent computers
>
> To call a program that counts bigrams and calculates conditional
> entropy an "artificially intelligent computer" is … Well, you'll see.

On Rao's statistical fudging, etc., see Liberman's article and our
"Refutation of the Claimed Refutation," to which Liberman provides a
link. More on that in print when all of us are free.

Best,
Steve Farmer