ha.msa in parama-ha.msa and ha.msa-sa.mde/sa

George Thompson gthomgt at COMCAST.NET
Wed Apr 22 02:14:13 UTC 2009

Dear List,

I am sure that some of the previously mentioned books refer to the Vedic
material regarding hamsa, but maybe it will be useful to those who don't
have access to the earlier literature to mention these Vedic facts:

The puranic and late upanisidic texts mentioned in earlier posts have
clear antecedents in earlier Vedic.  These Vedic antecedents include not
only the oldest upanisads [BAU, ChU], as well as later upanisads [KaU &
ShvetU] but many YV texts as well [KS, MS, VS, TB].   But even in oldest
Vedic [RV] the term hamsa  is already well-attested [16 times] and in
every stratum of the RV.

What is evident from this evidence is this:

Iranian attestations of the Indo-European word, which is attested in
Latin 'anser', Germ.' Gans', etc., are tenuous.  But Indo-European
origins of this word nevertheless seems secure.  Of course, these
linguistic origins do not tell us what sort of bird the Sanskrit term
hamsa refers to, but they do suggest